Tuesday, April 30, 2019

My Birthday Present to Myself: Gratitude

[Note: I'm super tired and I haven't written much lately, but I wanted to get this out. This clearly follows my "Rough Draft" philosophy.]

Last weekend, I had a birthday party at the condo, which is the most beautiful and peaceful place I've ever lived. We had it catered by the same people who provided food for my friend James' memorial service. It was delicious. I had a small circle of my friends and their partners there.

I sent out the invitations to my party a few days after James' ceremony. James' widow said gratitude is the path to happiness. Somewhere in the days after the event, I decided to that I was going to give a little speech and tell everyone there what I appreciated about them.

It was the best week I've ever had locked in my own mind.

Jack and I moved here almost fifteen years ago and had no extended family in Seattle. So we had to make an extended family.

Some of my friends I've known for so long and see so often, it is hard to remember what specifically I like about them. They are like my water--essential and part of my every day, but also very hard to decide when you really think about it.

Like Monica. I've known her since the Boy was in preschool and he called Monica's daughter "the cute one." I served on more than a few PTA Boards with her. But what do I like best about her? She took a volunteer job that interacted lots of high maintenance parents and help the position with practicality and professionalism.

For Katie and Heidi, Katie took me to the hospital when the Boy had his tonsils out and Jack was in Egypt giving a talk. Heidi took Claire-Adele for three days so I could nurse the Boy back to health. And I didn't have to ask them to help. They told me how they were going to help.

I thought and I thought and I thought, and the more I thought, the happier I became. I don't think I've ever had a better week.



No comments: