Monday, January 13, 2020

Good Things, Part 2

My daughter Claire-Adele used to be an avid reader of my blog (mainly to see if I was writing about her) but she stopped reading it because she said it was too "angsty." This is coming from a teenager. My dictionary's definition of angst has adolescent angst as an example. If teenager thinks my blog is angsty, it must be off the charts. But then, Claire-Adele isn't on the Facebook group of parents whose kids are in treatment for anxiety and depression where every single person's kid is either currently in crisis or has just gotten out of the woods of a crisis. You know how social media gets a bad rap for people showing all of the superficial, happy crap in their lives? This group is the opposite as it is full of raw, honest emotions, from the agonizing pain of child who is lost to the joyous relief of seeing that lost kid find their way back to civilization.

So my blog has been a little angsty, I agree, but the angsty-ness reflects the state of my life in general.

In the middle of all of this chaos mess, there are a few good things.

  • I am reading a really good book: Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owen. It is about a young girl who is abandoned first by her mother then my her alcoholic father and is left to fend for herself in the marsh is North Carolina. I read this article about it in the New York Times and decided to read it. 
  • In addition to reading popular literature, I also found a high brow show* (not) on Netflix from reading the New York Times. Schitt's Creek stars Eugene Levy and Catherine O'Hara (who I swear I saw walking in my neighborhood a few weeks ago.) I've seen the name of the show on airplanes, but I never watched an episode until last night. It was so good to laugh so hard. This is The Beverly Hillbillies in reverse where a vacuous, wealthy family loses its fortune and moves to the middle of nowhere. All they left from their former lives are their clothes. Eugene Levy's character has the best dress shirts. I wish the Boy were here to watch it with me.
  • Ferries at night are good things. I love watching them crawl along the Sound like a glowing snail. My friend Laura had suggested we take a ride on the ferry in the evening in the winter where we can see the city lights. It is so hard to get a good picture of the ferry with my phone at night. It doesn't do justice to how wonderful I think they are.




* My friend Laura recommended Chernobyl. I think I'll take a pass. I couldn't get through the trailer.

No comments: