Friday, January 31, 2020

Downhill and Force Majeure, Part 1

There comes a moment in every woman's life when she realizes her husband is an idiot.

There are two reactions that men will have to that statement:

  1. They will get defensive and think "I am not an idiot" or
  2. They will laugh uproariously. 
The guys who do the second win.

I saw a trailer for the new Julia Louis-Dreyfus movie Downhill and I thought this is the story of my life: a pissed off ski mom discovers her husband is an idiot. 

I wonder how it ends. Does the husband get lost in an avalanche and then the wife collects a large life insurance policy and runs off with the hot young buck ski instructor, Hans? I am curious.

I read a review of the movie in Vanity Fair, and based on that, I think I'll first watch the original Force Majeure, a Swedish film. I can't believe I missed this the first time since I was living that life in full color at the time the movie was made. It was released in October 2014, and that April Jack and I had a semi-disastrous trip to Whistler with the kids. If we had been skiing in the Alps instead of Canada, we would have crossed paths with the filming. I am so curious to see a movie that so closely tags my demographic. How come the film makers didn't send me an invitation to see the movie?

No comments: