Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Pre-Crying

The Boy is going in for an MRI today to see if he tore his ACL. As you may know from my many blog posts, I tore my ACL in 2015 while I was skiing. I wouldn't wish a torn ACL on my worst enemy let alone on the Boy.

A torn ACL means he can't ski for a year. Last year, skiing was what kept him alive. It was the only thing that got him out of bed. It will take months to relearn to walk and run. He can't play soccer, either.

Last night I cried. I think it was pre-crying, crying before the bad news so when the bad news comes we've already processed it. I remember when the Boy was in 8th grade, he applied to Aviation High School. Admissions were by lottery, and there was a low acceptance rate. The night before the lottery, he cried for forty-five minutes. Jack and I couldn't figure out why he was crying at the time, and then when I saw he didn't get in, I understood.

No comments: