Thursday, July 16, 2020

Fishing Metaphors

We have hit a few fishing holes this week in Montana while visiting the Boy. Talk about a mental health break. Wow. I don't know how anyone can be anxious or depressed while fishing. Okay. I suppose someone can be depressed and anxious anytime.

As I have been on the side of the river for hours this week watching the Boy fly fish, I have found the original meaning of some meaning of fishing metaphors.

  • The one that got away -- The Boy had a few bites that never took the hook.
  • Get your feet wet -- I don't know if this is a fishing metaphor, but to truly fly fish, it is best to walk in the water to get away from bushes and branches when casting.
  • There are plenty of fish in the sea -- The Boy was fishing on river, but the same idea.
  • They fell for it hook, line and sinker -- When the fish is so dumb, it goes beyond the bait.






No comments: