Thursday, July 9, 2020

Downtown Awakens, I hope

Yesterday morning as I was walking Fox on First Avenue, I smelled something I hadn't smelled in months: bacon. I just passed the Biscuit Bitch, which had just re-opened post COVID. When I turned down Pike Street, I smelled croissants from Le Painer. It was wonderful. I didn't realize how much I missed the aroma from all of the restaurants in town. I hope this bodes well for downtown, that it will come back alive.

Right now, it is quiet without the workers and tourists. I miss them. They brought a vibrancy to my neighborhood. I miss the hubbub and the busyness. Now, people are spending most of the time only where they live. How strange is that? That might be good for the local neighborhoods, but it is killing downtown. Downtown thrives on being a center of activity. Hopefully, downtown is just dormant, not dead.

Still, I am glad I live downtown. I hope when COVID is over people can be together again, and they will come here.

Downtown Seattle. Thursday 8:30 a.m.

No comments: