Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Intuition

I am starting to learn to listen to my intuition, the non-thinking part of my brain. My friends tell me to trust my intuition, and to see where it takes me.

I have an interesting story about a friend from last fall. We were at a bar after work and he said he wished he had a friend telling him he was making a mistake. He didn't say what the mistake was about, and I didn't ask. I probably should have but I didn't. I figured he wanted to volunteer the information, he would.

Now I would answer that question differently: If you think you are making a mistake, you probably are. Why do you need a friend to tell you are making a mistake when your intuition is already telling you that?

Friends can provide validation. They can reflect what we are thinking, and let us know if our view is distorted or not. But for the most part, our intuition serves us well.

One of my big issues is that I don't trust myself. I hear my intuition, but I might tell it to be quiet, to go away. Or, I'll need to run things past committee: what do all of my friends think?

While I love and adore my friends, I am learning to listen to myself.

No comments: