Saturday, January 15, 2022

Donuts + Pineapple

I started a job last March in the middle of the pandemic. Since I've been working remotely, I haven't gotten to talk to my co-workers very much. Yesterday, I broke down and booked a half an hour on my calendar with a woman on my team. I was going to tell her about a project I am working on and ask her opinion. Instead, we shot the shit, which was perfect and wonderful. 

We talked about taking care of ourselves, as middle-aged women are wont to do. She has abandoned sugar in her diet.

"I used to eat so many donuts. I had donuts for breakfast all of the time," she said. "At work, I would go to Starbucks and get vanilla lattes. It was the worst. Then I started reading about sugar and how awful it is on your body. "

I told my new friend and co-worker I know about sugar and carbs. My dad has Type-2 diabetes, which he manages through diet and exercise. Recently, my dad had to take a short break from exercise. He asked a nutritionist what he could do to manage his blood sugar if he couldn't ride his elliptical or lift weights for a few weeks. The nutritionist told him to meditate: it drops the cortisol in your body and drops your blood sugar. I knew meditation was spiritually and emotionally good for people, but good for your physical health, too? Who knew? Talk about win-win-win.

Anyway, today I was out and about and I all I could think about was donuts. The power of suggestion. My friend and I didn't talk about the goodness of kale and quinoa. We talked about the badness of donuts, which made me want a donut.

Donuts.

Donuts.

Donuts.

I don't even like donuts that much. I prefer croissants and scones and eggs for breakfast before donuts. 

Yet, there is a soft spot in my heart for Top Pot's Double Trouble--a chocolate cake donut with chocolate glaze.

After my morning meeting, I booked it over to Top Pot and got not one but two donuts! I ate half of each which is a whole donut. I finished it off with a mocha. 

Oh my god.

It was so good. 

I ate the donuts with a side of pineapple, in a very lame attempt to add balance to the universe, as if the pineapple will cancel out the evils of the donut. I think in some olden days, people could buy off sins if they donated to the church. Like, Yeah, I stole from my cousin but I bought new pews and a stained glass window, so in the eyes of god, I am good, right?









No comments: