Sunday, May 29, 2022

Covid, the Garden & the Little Cloud

More than a week ago, I tested positive for covid. I've finished both my five days of isolation and five days wearing a mask out and about. This week, I get to go back to the office to work. Today is the first day I've had a normal amount of energy.

I don't know if I had classic symptoms of covid or not, but I woke up coughing one night. I was feeling a little tired the days before, but I figured I was short on sleep and had a few glasses of wine with dinner. I even googled "covid versus hangover." The third day was unambiguous: I felt like shit. I could still smell and taste food, but I had a runny nose and I was really tired. I went to an urgent care clinic and I got the anti-viral medication, which was wonderful. After I started taking the Paxlovid, I felt so much better. I was sleeping a lot, but other than that, I felt okay. The weird thing about being isolated while having covid was I wasn't doing anything, so I couldn't gauge my energy level.

Day 8, I started to lose my mind. I hadn't seen anyone other than strangers I'd run into on the street. Pedro came over for dinner on Thursday. He was the first human I had regular contact with in person in more than a week. It was so nice. He did all of the talking because I didn't have much to contribute because I haven't done anything other than watch "My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend," "The Adam Project" starring Ryan Reynolds and "Operation Mincemeat" starring Colin Firth on Netflix and read "Trust" by Hernan Diaz. 

This weekend, I was still technically on the bench according to the CDC, even though according to Jack, my likelihood of being contagious was extremely low. Nevertheless, I live in Seattle and people fret a lot about covid here. I know people who have long-covid as well, one in their twenties. 

I was listening to a friend's covid experience. She got tired of reading books and watching movies. I started to think, "What can I do? What are all of my options? Surely there is more to do than stream television shows and read."

This spring has been miserable, rainy and cold. I've delayed working on planters on my balcony and patio. I decided to the garden store, get some new geraniums and fertilizer, and work on the garden. The garden store is outside, and I could easily socially distance. I wore a mask the whole time I was shopping, which was weird because I was one of the few. People must have thought I was a germaphobe, or at least I hope they did. I am not sure how many thought I was bouncing back from having the virus myself. 

I got my plants yesterday, and today I weeded and added compost to my containers. I am probably the only person in downtown Seattle who composts leaves and other plant debris. It was a perfect and lovely solo activity while I was on the upswing. I feel like I have my energy back.

The best thing about having covid is I am done with it. I feel free, like I can fully carry on with my life without worry and stress. I was getting back to lots of normal things, like traveling, going back to work and eating in restaurants, but there was always a little cloud of fear hanging over me. 

That little cloud is gone, and it feels so nice.

No comments: