Sunday, January 25, 2015

Adele v. Taylor

The other day, I was listening to Taylor Swift's new song, "Blank Space."  I thought I heard her sing "I've got a Starbuck's lover..."  Why was she singing about Starbucks?  I wondered, so I googled the lyrics.  The actual lyrics are "I've got a long list of ex-lovers, who'll tell you I'm insane..."  

"Who'll tell you I'm insane?"  Unlike other young artists, Taylor Swift writes her own songs, which is fine.  She is known for writing about her ex-boyfriends.  I started paying attention to the rest of lyrics, and have concluded that Taylor Swift will be this generation's Woody Allen and Michael Jackson -- the confessional artists who are telling us unpleasant things about themselves, if we only pay attention and listen.  Slate has a great article about Michael Jackson years ago, outlining his music videos and showing his troubled side.  "I'm Bad" could have been about him being hip, or it could have been about him being a pedophile.  Another Slate article (I think it was Slate) outlined numerous lines from Woody Allen movies that suggested his interest in girls who are way too young.  In her most recent song, Swift sings about her exes, and tells us they might be right to have skipped out:  "I'm a nightmare dressed as a daydream" is one of her lines that makes me cringe.  "Boys only want love if it's torture" is another lyric.  Last I checked, guys don't like psychos.  If these lyrics are based on her personal feelings, her honesty is bone chilling.  

Taylor Swift is known for writing about her ex-boyfriends, but then so is Adele.  Adele seems far more reasonable:  "Sometimes it lasts in love, sometimes it hurts instead" sounds like practical advice you'd get from a good friend or an aunt.  Adele seems to respect her ex: "I wish nothing but the best for you, too."  Adele's song was written by a grown-up who sounds mature enough to have a respectful relationship.  Swift's song is scary.

One could argue the Swift is young, but so is Adele.  Adele's famous "Someone Like You" was written when she was 21.  Swift is now 25, and the diva doesn't get it.  Will she grow-up, or will she a nightmare forever?

No comments: