Thursday, January 1, 2015

Hospice

(Note:  This was written December 28.  We did not have internet access in paradise.  Oh well.  Tells you something about the internet, eh?)

My friend Eleanor had a nephew who was dying of cancer or leukemia.  He has made quite a bit of money in his life, and wanted to die comfortably, but not in a hospital.  Eleanor emailed her friends and asked for nice hotels in Seattle.  One of the things about living in a town is that you never stay in the hotels.  I did a google search, and recommended the Fairmont, amoung other places.  He went there, looked out over the Puget Sound for a few days, and then died.  Hospice nurses came in and out.  Both the hospice nurses and the Fairmont staff were familiar with the process.  I guess her nephew wasn't the first person to decide to skip the ICU and got to a luxury hotel.

If I am ever diagnosed with a terminal illness and I have a short time left, I want to spend it here.  This is the nicest hotel room I have ever stayed in.  This place is so nice, I don’t feel staying in the room.  The view is better here than other places.  This is an apartment with a kitchen, so we are going to cook diner in tonight.  Nothing fancy – some noodles with red sauce, bread and salad.



Remarkable Mountains in the background.  Lake Wakatipu in the front.







They filmed parts of Isengard from Lord of the Rings out here.

No comments: