Thursday, January 1, 2015

Things I Did Not Photograph on my Vacation to New Zealand

I've taken a lot pictures on this trip.  Many times I’ll take pictures of the same thing from a different angle or different location.  And yet, there are things I have not photographed.  Here is a list so far.
  • The expression on the Boy's face as he watched The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies while we were in Auckland.  He was riveted and delighted.
  • The taste of New Zealand butter.  It is wonderful.  I guess the difference is the cows here are grass fed instead of grain fed like in the US.  The butter is yellow.
  • The expression on my face as Jack nearly hits things while driving on the left side of the road.  I noted our rental car here has a scraped up front left wheel rim.  Jack probably isn't the only driver clipping the curb on the left side of the road.
  • The Boy and Jack walking down a forest path.  I wonder what they were talking about.
  • The sound of birds waking me up at 5:40 a.m. in Pohara.  The first bird screeched, and they all chimed in.  It was like the oboe starting to tune an orchestra.  Except they never got in tune.
  • A cow mooing.
  • A sheep bleeting.
  • A real kiwi bird!  We saw them at the Kiwi Bird Refuge Center in Queenstown.  It is a nocturnal bird that lives in the forest, so they are almost impossible to see in the wild.
  • The best BLT I've ever had was at a cafe in Glenorchy.
  • My and Jack's summer allergies kicking in around Christmas.
  • The sun shining at 10:10 p.m., or tin tin, as the Kiwis say.
  • The ugliest corner in Queenstown.  There was a KFC, a Starbucks, and a McDonalds all within sight, plus an overripe, uncollected garbage can.  Even on this hideous corner, there were impressive mountains in the background and a great busker singing Use Somebody by Kings of Leon and I Will Wait by Mumford and Sons.
  • A herd of sheep in a field (or paddock) all facing the same direction.  It was raining, and our guess was they were facing out of the direction of the rain.  
  • Roasted lamb and an NZ pinot noir for dinner and pavlova for dessert on New Year's Eve.
  • Dozens of snuggly young couples on vacations.
  • The "Most Epic Safety Video of All Time" on Air New Zealand.

No comments: