Monday, October 20, 2014

Erudition

The other night, the kids came home from soccer and cross country practice and we sat down to dinner.  We ordered a pizza because our new kitchen counter just installed and our kitchen wasn't fully functional yet.  Roy was there plumbing the sink and installing the cooktop as we ate.

"Did you hear Whistler is going to use RFID this year to get on the gondolas.  And one of the lines is getting new gondolas," the Boy said.  "Did you hear a second nurse in Dallas came down with ebola," he said.

"That's interesting..." I replied.

"I was talking to Claire today and she told me all about her trip to Thailand this summer.  She visited an elephant sanctuary there," the Big E chimed in.

"Did you know the Euro dropped today?" the Boy said.

"Really?" I asked, dumbfounded that he even knew what a Euro was and that it could drop.

I couldn't believe this conversation.  The children were civilized, polite and talking about global events.  WTF?

Then, Roy left.  As soon as the door shut...

The Big E made a rude comment to her brother.  He replied, "Suck it up, Buttercup."  He had been saving this comment all day to he could come and tell his sister.

"I think this is going to be my phrase now,"  the Boy said.  "I am going to use it as much as I can."

So much for the dropping Euro and discussions of elephant sanctuaries in Thailand.  I am going to have to ask Roy to hang out in the kitchen during dinner more often.

No comments: