Monday, October 27, 2014

Practice Quilt

Last fall, I was going to make a quilt using the Big E's old dresses.  I started taking her clothes apart, and now I have a giant pile of raw material.  I own six or seven books on quilting, plus I've borrowed a bunch from the Seattle Public Library.

Yet, I was terrified to make them into a quilt.  I have a hard time picking a pattern, and fear I will get a third of the way through it and decide I can't sew straight or the schematic that I've picked looks stupid.  I am also worried that I have a large collection of random sized scraps that might not lend themselves to an easy, beginner pattern.

This weekend, we went shopping at the fabric store to get the Boy material to make a Halloween costume.  I picked up two sets of fabric squares and decided to make a few practice quilts.

I sorted the blocks by color.  The pink and lavender ones will make a pillow, and the turquoise ones will make another pillow.  The navy, red and gray will make a quilt for Fox.




I got out a book, and read how to sew the squares together.  Yes, I had to read a book on how to sew together squares.  



And here is my first full effort!  I did it!  I can sew in a straight line!  It was much easier than I thought.


Now the downside: Like my aunts who are far more talented when it come to sewing, knitting and making things, I'll have to find an outlet for my new little projects.  How many quilted pillows does one house need?  I suppose I should finish one first before I worry about that.

No comments: