Monday, March 13, 2023

Fini! and Forty Days

I remember this odd habit of my mother's when I was a kid. I would be working on a craft -- like paint-by-numbers or Shrinky-Dinks -- and she would say, "Don't finish it! Save it so you will have something to do for later." 

She might have meant, "don't rush through it," or "take your time," but I was a perfectionist little kid who was painfully careful and afraid of making mistakes. I was not going to rush.

The funny thing about saving things for later is that often later never comes. My mom died, and she left behind a massive collection of nice soap, including Crabtree & Evelyn's Seashell Soap, which was a my favorite soap ever. (I don't know when it was discontinued, but I now am using the last little bit of what I snagged from my dad's house.) My mom would buy nice things, and then not use them because she wanted to save them, which is so sad because she never did use them.

As I have mentioned in my previous blog post, I have been stocking up on craft projects during my surgery recovery so I have something to do. Even this weekend, I went out and bought more crafts. My stash is impressive. (See my new local favorite craft store in Pike Place Market, Ugly Baby.) 

So, am I buying so many crafts that I will "always have some to do later?" Or, will I end up, as I did as a child, will dozens of craft projects started but never finished?

I am fighting the tide and I am trying to finish what I am starting, but the problem is I am always starting something new. I never want to be caught without a project in process. The blank slate might freak me out, but that is a problem I'll need to address in the future, not now. Now I need to get through the boring part of this recovery from surgery.

In the meantime, I finished a project today! Woohoo! Check out this little lion! Isn't she cute?



She has a bag for shopping, which she needs because she doesn't have any shoes. Hello, Nordstrom Rack! Or Julia's Footwear. Or Birdies. Or Likelihood.

Anyhow, I finished this little cutie pie.

Which brings me to Theme 2 of today's blog post -- forty days. My doctor tells me it will take four to six weeks to recover from my recent abdominal surgery, and I have the time off from work. My therapist thinks I will get bored and I will go back to work early. Damn it, I hope he's using reverse psychology on me, because right now I want to dig my heels in and say to boredom "Bring it on! I can handle it!" It is Lent right now, just before Easter. I can spend forty days in the desert, metaphorically, sitting in my apartment doing crafts. Who knows where this will take me? There was an 85 year old lady in Ireland who knits every day. She learned when she was seven years old and now she knit sweaters for the cast in The Banshees of Inisherin. Maybe one day my embroidery will be featured in a Jane Austen movie!

I need crafts because I get suicidal watching television during the day. I could avoid this problem by watching television until 4 a.m., and then sleeping until noon, if I need that much distraction to stave of the doldrums. 

Ha. Just kidding. It is almost 9:00 p.m. and I am sleepy. There is no way I am making it until 4:00 a.m.

I am not kidding here about daytime tv making me seriously depressed. I can't do it very often. I can watch short YouTube videos, but that is about it. I will make some exceptions. I would stream shows when I was recovering from my ACL. I'd do leg lifts while watching Bletchley Park

Speaking of shows, I have found a new one: Shrinking on Apple TV. It is written by the same team who brought us Ted Lasso. Harrison Ford plays a kind but grumpy old fart. Brett Goldstein (aka Roy Kent) is a writer on the show, so every other word is an f-bomb. I love it.

Also, my therapist didn't know that Ted Lasso Season Three starts in two days. Whoop whoop! Maybe I can make an exception to my daytime television rule for Ted. I can binge watch it two or three times before I go back to work.

No comments: