Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Non-Essential & Mom-in-Chief

As you may have heard, the State of Washington is on a stay-at-home order from the Governor as of Monday night. I am a non-essential employee so I get to work from home. Lots of people work form home at my office, so the pace of work hasn't dropped much if at all. For me, this is the beginning of my third week of working from home as part of social distancing and I am getting kind of used to it. I am find myself to be really hilarious even if no one is around to enjoy my humor besides me and Fox. Fox is a good dog. At times he is kind of needy with me around all day. Other times he's like "Why are you here? I am trying to hide a bone from you. That bone you gave me? You might take it back so I need to hide it under the blanket on the couch."

Last night after work, I was driving to Madison Park where I had an appointment. I left downtown at 5:05 and made it to Madison Park by 5:19. Pre-covid, I would leave work at 4:45 and get there at 5:20. Aside from the line thirty people deep outside a pot shop on Capitol Hill, Seattle was dead. I parked right in front of my therapists office--no problem. It was weird. Now I know what it would have been like to live in Seattle in 1972. I feel like I am living in the Upside Down (see: Stranger Things) minus the flower monsters.

(Shots of downtown Seattle today at 5:30 p.m. Normally it is very busy with people walking and packed with cars.)





The biggest challenge for me is eating in for 21 meals a week. This is a serious struggle. (Well, not getting enough exercise should be my biggest struggle, but I like food more than yoga and Zumba.) I went to Pike Place Market Sunday and stocked up on fresh vegetables. I was probably a wee bit too ambitious. I had to make an inventory of my vegetables so I wouldn't forget what is in my fridge and find it weeks later all composted.


I also bought some fruit. "An apple a day keeps the doctor" away but I prefer oranges.



Garlic keeps away vampires.



Vitamins provides nutrients I can't get enough of from food.



Top Pot doughnuts are yummy. And I am supporting a local business! Go me!



I saw a video online of a doctor in Chicago talking about covid. She has lived in Illinois her whole life. I love the sound of her voice. When I listened to her, I felt like I knew her, that we might have been friends if I never left Chicago. She is a badass.

It got me thinking. Instead of Commander-in-Chief, we need a Mom-in-Chief running the country. Seriously. Her is what she might say:

"I know this is a tough time for everyone, but seriously, do you want Grandma to die? Cause that is what is going to happen you don't wash you hands, sneeze into your elbow and stay home. Sure, I'll let you out to get food, but wash your hands before you go out and stand six feet away from your cashier. 

"Now, about the jobs. Waiters and waitresses are out of work and that sucks because many of them are young and live paycheck to paycheck. So, we are going to dip into the family bank account to help them out while we try not to kill Grandma and Grandpa. No, I am not giving you money for new yoga pants Claire-Adele*! I'll make sure your rent is paid while we get through this crunch. Seriously? I don't care if your airline stock price is in the toilet and you want to buy it back Lululemon is having a clearance sale! Grow up! We are having a crisis. If you want to walk the dog, that is fine but chill. By the way Grandma -- you need to STAY HOME FROM WORK! Everyone in North America is staying home so you don't get sick. I know you have the strongest work ethic on the planet, but don't be a covidiot. You are in the highest risk category. And Grandpa--you can live for three weeks without eating a restaurant. Come on. Your cooking isn't that bad. Watch a YouTube video on how to cook salmon.

"And don't worry. It may feel like the end of the world, but it is not. Now go watch Netflix, be nice to your brother and leave Mommy alone. She has to figure out a way to get hospital masks, gloves and ventilators to healthcare workers."

* Not the real Claire-Adele. She is making apple pie in Maryland with her boyfriend.

No comments: