Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Quarantine and Pass Notes

I am on Day 1 of a sort of self-selected quarantine in Seattle. My manager recommended we all work from home (because we can) until this bug settles out. Microsoft and Amazon told their people to work from home, too, but working at those places is worse than taking a cruise in terms of close and contained quarters. I went into the office yesterday because my condo was undergoing a plumbing project and my unit was out of running water from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.. Rather than run to my health club (it's in the same block) every time I had to pee, I decided to work at work instead. Only a handful of people were in the office, so it isn't likely that germs are going to spread too far or too fast there.

Today, on the other hand, sucked. I am not meant to work at home. I've been home for fifteen hours and I am done. I got up this morning and made a batch of chili before I started work, but then I had to resist the urge to clean my kitchen. I don't know when I became the type of person who is unsettled by mess.

#whyiworkatwork
I've been thinking a lot about food this week and the egregious amount of money I spent on groceries Sunday. I am embarrassed to say how much I spent, but in a way I bought a month's worth of food, maybe more. The way I lived before the quarantine is the opposite of a Costco mentality. Instead of stocking up, I try to run out of food before I buy more, which means my pantry is often bare. I live so close to Pike Place Market, I walk there after work and pick up what I am going to eat. Other nights, I'll go out to dinner with friends. Other nights, I'll eat leftovers, either from what I made for dinner the night before or from a restaurant. The concept of having enough food for two weeks is out of my wheelhouse.

But I am trying.

After work, I made bean soup to compliment my chili. I am going to freeze most of this and eat it later, which got me wondering: am I better off cooking my own food or going out to eat? Restaurants are inspected for food safety. My kitchen is not. I'm pretty clean, but I am also the same person who eats ice cream straight out of the carton. What if this food has future corona virus in it? Or, am I crazy?



Back to my food budget. I went to MetMarket to buy groceries. Go ahead. Judge me. I had to splurge! Plus it is so posh and overpriced no one else shops there so I didn't have to deal with the cesspool that is the U Village QFC teaming with hundreds of college students and empty shelves. If I am going hunker down, I want to eat well. I can't just buy a block of cheddar and three bags of tortillas and eat quesadillas for two weeks! I could, but why? I did buy a block of cheddar and tortillas, but not only that. I bought goat cheese and prosciutto and chocolate in addition to flour and yeast to make bread if it gets that bad. I even bought the fancy Met Market Blood Orange soda. With all of this food, I should have a party, but that's not going to happen.

I've developed a massive case of hypochondria. I sneezed this morning and am convinced I have COVID-19 and will inadvertently murder a handful of elderly people in my condo building if I take the elevator.

I feel tired, but that might be because I spent all of last week with the Boy coming back from boarding school. My friend Cara asked me today how I was feeling.

"You must be exhausted from being on red alert the whole week," she said. 

"Yes!" I said. 

That is so true, and I'm still in a little bit of shock after his Home Pass. Monday, my manager at our weekly stand-up asked my about my trip and the Boy's visit.

"It was good. It was fine. Yeah, it was nice," I said.

"That's it!? You were gone for a week and that is all you are going to say?" he said.

The scope of the week was so big and intense I can't even fully grasp it. It is going to take me a few days to unpack it. I am not alone, thankfully, even though one of my favorite Al-Anon meetings has been canceled due to the virus. Fortunately, I am on an email chain with other moms in the Boy's group which really helps me sort all of this out as I see them go through the same stuff I am dealing with.

In many if not most ways, the visit was so good. The Boy has grown so much, as I have I. I am starting to think of this just like he left for college early, and his visits back are like Claire-Adele's visits home. It makes me a little more happy for him rather than sad for me.

No comments: