Sunday, March 29, 2020

Vacuum Cleaner & Lucky

Here is the rest of the exciting story of of my vacuum cleaner and what I am doing to save the world by staying home.

Here is the history of the vacuum cleaner. When we bought the condo, Jack bought about 75% of the stuff for it off of Craig's List, including the vacuum cleaner. Jack spent hours scouring the internet trying to find the best stuff at the best deal, and he did a nice job though at times I was annoyed that he'd spend eight hours on a Saturday looking for a couch. He did score with the barely used McKinnon cherry dining room table and the solid cherry desk. Other stuff he found was meh, like this vacuum cleaner. It is a cyclone Bissell that he found for $40. A new one is $120, but this is way less than the $500 Dyson at the house which is the best vacuum cleaner I've ever owned. I bought the Dyson before we moved to Seattle in 2004 and it is still just as good as it was the day I bought it.

In our life, we have more money than time. So when Jack spends four hours looking for a vacuum cleaner for $40 plus going to pick it up and all of the emails and logistics to go with it, I get a little irked that he saved like $65 instead of buying a new one, especially since it wasn't like he got a Dyson for $40. I don't really complain because I believe in the re-use, re-sale economy. Better for us to get a used vacuum cleaner instead of it ending up in a landfill.

When we got the used vacuum cleaner, it was mediocre. I wished we had just bought a Dyson. But whatever. The condo is small and there aren't small kids running around so a cheap little vacuum cleaner was fine.

Yesterday was the first time I vacuumed since I cleaner the super clogged and flithy filter. It was amazing. It was like I got a brand new vacuum cleaner! It was almost as good as the Dyson. For $40! On Craig's List!

Which got me thinking -- I bet the first owner never cleaned the filter. I bet the clogged filter caused the vacuum not work properly so he got rid of it. Moral of the story: it pays to a) read the instructions when you buy an appliance and b) take care of your stuff.

I read the newspaper this morning, which was a mistake. I read lots of depressing articles about increases in frequency and intensity of domestic violence, Covidivorce, and how the army is helping Seattle set up a temporary hospital in CenturyLink Field Event Center. Jack said the surge of illnesses in Seattle is predicted to hit in nine days, which is when hospitals will need extra beds. I did read a positive article: dogs are happy their owners are home. Dogs will probably slump into depression when everyone goes back to work when this settles down.

I read another article about how the corona quarantine impacts people differently. White collar workers are the luckiest. Grocery store workers are expected to continue to work. The face the public every and are exposed to anyone who might be ill. Restaurant workers are out of a job.

I am very lucky I have a job I can do at home. I won't miss my next paycheck. I don't have to interface with the public and expose myself to the virus. The worst problem I have with work is not trying to find enough hospital beds for the gravely ill. The worst problem I have at is that conference calls are a mess. My personal life is wanting exciting, but I am grateful that I am healthy (so far) and I have a job.

No comments: