Tuesday, March 3, 2020

The Plague

The coronavirus has hit Seattle, and right now I am visiting the Boy at his tiny boarding school in Montana where coronavirus has not hit.

Yet.

These kids are isolated in a bucolic small town that is off the map and then ALL of their parents are brought in from New York City, San Francisco, Houston, etc. bringing a global collection of germs to this very local village.

I haven't coughed in a week except for when my tea was too hot and I am a little more tired than usual. I feel reasonably fine. One a scale of one to ten, I feel like a 7.5 which isn't bad for a week of traveling.

And yet, I am terrified that I might be carrying this nasty bug and having "subclinical" case, meaning I might have the virus but not the symptoms. Now I know how the rats must have felt during the bubonic plague. I feel like a blanket with fleas carrying smallpox to the Native Americans back in the 1600's. Monday, I shook my son's soccer coach's hand and then found out he has a medically fragile son. Today I apologized to him: "I am sorry I shook your hand yesterday. I'm from Seattle."

I hope this bug is grossly over-hyped, for everyone's sake because right now I am feeling super guilty if on the off chance this little community gets the superbug that it will be my fault.

No comments: