Saturday, March 21, 2020

Working from Home, Beer and Girl Scout Cookies

I've been working from home for two weeks. Yeah, it sucks, but yesterday we had "Virtual Happy Hour" where we all grabbed a glass of wine, logged onto Teams, and shot the shit for three hours. It was fun, but not as fun as regular Happy Hour.  We asked each other questions like, "What is on your plague bucket list?" and "If you could have any job in our company, what would it be?" A friend on Facebook asked "What song should we sing out the windows like the Italians?" (My vote: Somewhere Over the Rainbow but there were lots of other good ideas: I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor, We Will Rock You by Queen and Imagine by John Lennon.) That question didn't work for my co-workers because half are not from America so we don't have a common song book. My next question for the group: Where is the first place you are going to go or what are you going to do when social distancing is over? I need to start a list.

When I started working from home two weeks ago, I decided I was going to wear my regular work clothes and put on make-up everyday. This week, I moved to sweats and my favorite ratty pink sweatshirt which I wrote about years ago. One day around eleven o'clock, I noticed a funny taste in my mouth and realized I hadn't brushed my teeth. Yesterday, I actually had a great hair day but no one was around to notice. I also painted my toenails yesterday, because I still like painted toenails. My manager said he got a haircut the other day.

I replied, "So you are more vain than you are afraid of germs?" He paused before replying to my sassy remark.

"I was looking uncivilized." I can relate. I just got my haircut three weeks ago which means my hair is reaching its perfect peak. Six weeks from now will be a disaster.

Half of us are going to come out of social distancing looking amazing because we will be all salt-rubbed (me) and moisturized (me) and continuing our at home yoga practice (not me). Some of us will not. Some of us will be mixed--half gorgeous and half whatever.

I am going to be mixed.

I am getting fat. I can tell because my sweatpants are getting snug and my jacket is getting tight across the chest. Why? Why am I gaining weight? My butt is getting so round Kim Kardashian is going to ask me now I got my booty. I'll tell her the Top Pot Doughnuts on First and Stewart is still open. I am eating out so much less i.e., not at all except yesterday when I went to the Market to stockpile steaks and vegetables and Pirosky was open. Okay, every other day I need to get out for ten minutes and get coffee or a croissant or something. I tried going to the Biscuit Bitch, but they were closed. A month ago, there was a line out the door at the Bitch. Now...nada.

I thought by eating at home I'd lose weight. Nope. I am not getting exercise or physical activity. When I'd go out to eat, I'd at least walk a few blocks. I'd walk to work. I am also getting stiff. Now, I walk up and down the stairs of my condo a few times a day. That is it.

What I am doing, besides work, which is still kind of busy? I made homemade hand sanitizer! One part Aloe Vera, 9 parts rubbing alcohol (70%). Voila! Hand Sani!



What else? A bar in my neighborhood has beer to go.




It looks like a Girl Scout Cookie stand, except beer. Very cool.

Speaking of Girl Scout cookies, spring is fundraising season in Seattle. In springs past before I had a day job, I would attend fundraiser luncheons for a bunch of causes. Now, these are all canceled. I was supposed to attend a fundraiser for the Seattle Public Library last week which exceeded the gathering limit of two hundred and fifty people. (I think now we are down to gatherings of five people.) How many charitable organizations are going to suffer? Sure, it is more fun to each lunch and give money than to go online a make a donation, but hey. There are groups out there who need our help. Pick one of your favorites and send them a few bucks.

No comments: