Friday, April 1, 2016

Another day...

I was talking to my friend who damaged her ACL but didn't completely tear it. She is debating whether or not to have her ACL surgically repaired. Her situation with a partially torn ACL is more complicated than mine was. For a fully torn ACL, the doctors say people can live without an ACL and surgery isn't necessary unless you want to return to cutting and turning sports like tennis, basketball, skiing or soccer; or if there is excessive or uncomfortable instability. The answer about whether or not to have surgery with a partially torn ACL is even more vague; hence, she struggles with the decision.

She read my blog and said it made her scared about the surgery.

"Why?" I asked. I was a little nervous. I hope I didn't portray the recovery from surgery as being that bad.

"It is the day-in, day-out of it," she said.

She is right. I don't get a vacation or day off from physical therapy. I don't do the physical therapy to be obedient so I can get a gold star from my physical therapist. There are no gold stars in PT--just a new list of exercises and goals (which can be a little disheartening, to tell the truth.) I think about my knee a lot, especially when I leave the house or sit for a long time. Working out and doing the exercises make me feel better and increases my functionality.

While it is hard, it isn't terribly terrible. I am uncomfortable, but not in pain. The discomfort I do have can be managed with icing my knee, elevating it and taking ibuprofen.

In my last post, I outlined all of the things I couldn't do that I wish I could. The operative part of that sentence is "wish I could." Everything I can't do becomes a goal. While there is frustration, I have a sense of accomplishment when I reach a milestone. There are other things that aren't so bad:
  • We've spent significantly less money in the month surrounding the surgery. I think we only spent money on the mortgage, utilities and groceries. Notice I didn't say "food." We rarely ate out during this time. Jack was kind enough to cook as I didn't want salty restaurant food to increase my swelling. I am surprised American Express didn't call to see if I was in the hospital. "Why yes I am!" I would have replied.
  • The kids talk to me while I am doing my home physical therapy exercises. I am a captive audience and I don't say much while I am doing my leg lifts.
  • I don't have to take out the garbage, compost, yard waste and recycling. You've seen pictures of my stairs. Now imagine schlepping garbage and recycling down these bad boys. 
  • I have quality bonding time with my dog.
  • Another patient at PT was impressed with my cycling skills. He said he wished he could bike like me. I was where he is now just a few weeks ago.
  • I am on a first name basis with half of the staff at the University YMCA.
  • I have a nice view where I ride the stationary bike from the university sports center.

No comments: