Friday, April 15, 2016

My Adele Nightmare

Some people have dreams of returning to high school and have to take a test they haven't studied for. I've had those kinds of dreams. They are mild nightmares--not so scary you wake up in a cold sweat or screaming until the raccoon stops attacking your leg*--but the dreams of embarrassment or stress.

My nightmare involves Adele. I dreamt the other night that I was signed up to sing an Adele song in a concert in front of a large crowd of people. Sure, I can sing to Adele while driving in the car, but

a) I don't have her voice,
b) I don't know all of the words to her songs,
c) I don't necessarily know the music to sing the right notes, and
d) even if I had b) and c), I still don't have a)

Why would anyone want to sing an Adele cover? It would be almost impossible to be as good and if even you were good, it would only invite comparison.

I am not sure why I have this dream. I don't sing well and I like Adele. My new favorite song of hers is "Water Under the Bridge" from her 25 album.

After some pondering, I figured out why this is my nightmare. (Note: The tile and theme of this blog is Rough Draft. As soon as I hit the "publish" button, I started to wonder why this was my nightmare. I couldn't settle until it was resolved.) This is my daydream gone bad. I would love to take the stage sometime and sing like Adele, even for a few minutes. I've imagined myself as a singer/songwriter like Sheryl Crow, carrying my guitar around coffee shops and small towns in the Pacific Northwest writing and singing. Maybe in my next life...

While I am on the topic of Adele, here is a really sweet video from the BBC where she goes undercover meets a bunch of Adele impersonators.

* I was listening to NPR a few years ago and there was a story of a woman being attacked by an animal. I caught the story in the middle, and was waiting to hear which vicious beast had damaged her leg. It was a raccoon. Seriously. I didn't realize they were so nasty. We used to have a few of them walk through our yard in the spring and eat the cherries off of our trees. The crows were our raccoon alarm as the birds would go berserk when the raccoons arrived.


No comments: