Monday, April 18, 2016

Sweat, and Darcy v. Jamie

Bike Time: 45 minutes 
Distance: 7.5 miles (I rode at the YMCA yesterday. Different bike.)

I rode the stationary bike at the university sports center today. I rode my favorite bike, which is in the northeast corner on the fourth floor. The entire corner is made of windows, like a corner office for exercise. It the morning, there is a decent amount sun that comes in, especially on a warm, clear day like today. I was riding along and I felt a strange sensation: sweat. Not just a little of mild perspiration, but sweat dripping off the back of my neck and down my back. I though I might have broken a sweat the other day, but not really. Today was the real deal. I think this is the first time I've sweat while working out since my surgery seven weeks ago. Part of my sweating might have to do with me sitting in front of a sunny window, but I'll take it. I've exercised in front of this window before and not sweat. Normally, I could run (I mean walk at a very slow pace) an errand after exercising, but today I was officially too gross. Woohoo!

I was tired, thirsty and hungry while I was working out, which was also unusual. I always bring a water bottle with me, and I actually needed it today. After my bike ride, I did my weight work out. It was about 11:30, and I was doing my leg curls. As I was counting, I began to dream about lunch. After about 18, I started thinking "cheeseburger" instead of counting. I had half burger leftover from last night's dinner that I was going to eat for lunch today. Ah, the joy of earning your calories!

Today on the stationary bike, I was reading Curtis Sittenfeld's Eligible, a modern retelling of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Even with a juicy book to read, I find forty-five minutes is the max I can ride the stationary bike before boredom gets the best of me. Outside, I can ride forever. Inside, forget about it. My dad has his stationary bike set up in front of a television. As much as I hate watching television during the day, perhaps he is on to something.

Sunday morning, I finished reading Outlander.  Now, I am in the middle of this retelling of Pride and Prejudice, which brings me to the question: who is the best romantic male hero*--Darcy or Jamie? I am torn, and I never thought I would be. I have way too much time on my hands to read and ponder such important questions. Overall, I prefer Elizabeth Bennet to Claire Beauchamps. Claire is kind of grumpy, as I might be if I found myself alone and in a place 200 years before today. The men pose a different challenge. Jamie is new and interesting, the Scottish Highlander who appears to be just a regular guy who in fact is not only strong and brave but educated. In the mid-1700's, it didn't seem like there were many men who were both. In P&P, Darcy is the aloof, stubborn one who comes around to being civilized. In Outlander, Claire is the aloof, stubborn one. Jamie is like a masculine Elizabeth Bennet, which is lovely. 

I have a friend who has been divorced for a few years, and is getting back into dating. She is choosing between two men, and I thought of this comparison between Jamie and Darcy. In many ways, both Jamie and Darcy are perfect. The one major flaw they both have is they aren't human--they are fiction. Great and interesting fiction, but fiction nonetheless. It is easy to get lost amongst the pages while I am riding on the stationary bike, and think these guys might exist in the real world. I wish every woman could have her Darcy or Jamie, whichever she prefers. At best, we can read about these not real men while riding not real bikes.


* Atticus Finch is the best male literary character overall.

No comments: