Sunday, April 10, 2016

Bath & Shower, and Stephen Hawking

I took a bath today for the first time since my surgery. I am six weeks post-op and finally allowed to submerge my knee without risk of infection. Yay! Right after my skiing accident, I took a bath almost everyday. I don't know if the warm water helped or hurt my left knee, but the rest of me felt better afterwards. Independent of my knee, the rest of my body, especially my right leg, liked a nice soak in a bath with salts.

Today, I poured in the last of a bag of lavender bath salt into the tub. I also mixed in some bubble bath from Lush. Normally, I make a trip downtown on the bus in December to the Lush store at the Westlake Center, but this year I didn't. I am not quite ready to take a bus trip downtown, so I ordered my usual Lush favorites online. (My biggest fear of going downtown is crossing the street and running out of "Walk" time before I make it to the other side. I also fear tripping, as when I cross the street I am loving as fast as I can. I get a little wobbly when I walk fast, which isn't good.)

After I sat in the lavender salt for about fifteen minutes, I added the bubble bath. We have a spa bath tub, so I turned on the jets which makes the bubbles grow rapidly.  I let the bubbles fill to the top of the tub. A toddler would have gotten lost in my bubble filled tub, and our dog Fox would have been buried. I loved it.

One of the issues I have now is when and how often I should bathe. Pre-skiing accident, I would take a shower in the morning like most people. Now, I get up, eat and work out. Should I shower before or after I work out? Normally, I would shower after, but then I like to run errands after my workout, and I want to be not smelly. Somedays, I shower too much. Other days, not enough. I hope it all evens out in the end.

Last night, the Boy, Jack and I watched The Theory of Everything about Stephen Hawking, the cosmologist who suffered from ALS, also known as Lou Gerhig's disease. His mind was left untouched, but his body has failed him since he was in his twenties. This puts my temporary disability into perspective.

No comments: